Sometimes, total life change happens in an instant, but more often it happens gradually. As small group leaders, our primary role is to uncover the spiritual condition of group members and walk beside them leading them one step closer to God. What this looks like will be different for each person. Here are some practical examples to help you:
- If a group member is not in a relationship with Christ, bring them to a church service where they can hear a clear presentation of the Gospel.
- Encourage group members to be water baptized.
- Invite group members to complete the Growth Track.
- Connect group members to the Dream Team.
- Introduce group members to the idea of daily prayer and Bible reading.
Our small groups will be most healthy when leaders take an active role in knowing each person in their group and intentionally helping them move one step closer to Christ.
Our goal is not to move one-person a thousand steps forward, but to move a thousand people one-step forward.
Move One Step Resource
Be sure you know the condition of your flocks, give careful attention to your herds. Proverbs 27:23
- Tell me about your relationship with Jesus. Does your relationship with Jesus take priority in your life?
- If no, share with them your personal testimony and offer to pray with them that Jesus will be Lord of their life.
- Invite them to a Weekend Experience.
- Are you regularly attending a weekly worship experience?
- If no, offer to meet them on Sunday before the experience to sit with them.
- Have you been water baptized since you have become a believer?
- If no, encourage them to be baptized the next time Water Baptism are held at The Church LV. Invite the rest of your small group to come for support.
- Have you completed Growth Track?
- If no, encourage them to attend Growth Track. Remind them that it does not have to be done in order so they can jump in at any time! Offer to meet your small group members there and attend Growth Track together.
- Have you identified your spiritual gifts? Are you using them to serve on the Dream Team?
- If no, encourage them to attend Step 3 on the third Sunday of the month and Step 4 on the fourth Sunday of the month. Even if they have attended step 3 before, it is fun to attend again to discover new things.
- Describe your daily Bible reading. Do you use a Bible reading plan?
- If no, direct them a Bible reading plan that you know of or one found in a Bible app.
- Do you have relationships that offer accountability?
- If no, encourage them to find an accountability partner.
- Are you tithing regularly?
Water Baptism is one of the most exciting steps you can take in your Christian faith!
As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.” Matthew 3:16-17
This verses encompasses the main reason why we are baptized: God the Father is pleased when we obey His word and follow His son in baptism.
Water Baptism is a public declaration of three important things:
- You are a follower of Jesus Christ.
Those who accepting his message were baptized . . . Acts 2:41
- You are beginning a changed life in Jesus Christ.
We were therefore buried with him though baptism into death in order that, just as Jesus Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may love a new life. Romans 6:4
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here! 2 Corinthians 5:17
- You are part of a new family.
So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith, for all of you who ere baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. Galatians 3:26-27